Unfortunately, snow is a fact of life in our region and many of us spend quite a few hours outside shoveling snow every winter. Most of us just look at shoveling snow as a necessary evil but many people get hurt every year from shoveling. Here are some simple safety tips to make sure you remain safe while shoveling.
- Do not shovel after eating or while smoking
- Take it slow and stretch out before you begin
- Shovel only fresh, powdery snow as it’s lighter
- Push the snow rather than lifting it
- If you must lift, use a small shovel or only partially fill the shovel
- Lift with your legs not with your back
- Do not work to the point of exhaustion
These tips wonderful tips come from the National Safety Council. For more great tips check out their website at www.nsc.org.